Saturday, February 10, 2024

 Artist Studies/Exercises

Engineering/ Joints

For my research project I wish to study some engineering principles to learn how to construct mechanical forms. I want to focus on robotic joints so I can connect and overlap character pieces in intricate and realistic ways. Certain areas, like shoulder, pelvises, and torsos, can be quite challenging when it comes to crafting connection points and internal frames. I will study action figures and real world robots, as well as sci fi concept art to learn techniques to create these systems. Learning how to connect shapes without resorting to ball joints and false connections would improve my ability to create robotic characters.

I also wish to explore more technical areas like rigging and constraints so I can bring my creations to life through animation. In need to see how secondary mechanisms can be created within 3D software and Unreal engine so my robots can be more than just meshes attached to bones. I must explore multiple solutions to complex issues, such as creating treads and functioning pistons, making sure that I can carry these techniques all the way to a finished game project.

Areas of focus:

Ball Joints

Hinge Joints

Universal Joints

Sliding Tracks

Clips and Fasteners

Pistons

Interlocking Plates

Tank Treads

For studies I can recreate joint structures on some of the figures I own to see how each piece fits together. I can develop kitbash pieces and alpha brushes to streamline the process of creating mechanical forms and robotic characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment